Wednesday, June 11, 2014

My Journey to the Fishman Prize


My journey to the Fishman Prize began with a simple email from my admin, Mr. Horstman and Mrs. Freitas. It is pretty incredible that this one email has forever changed my life!

When I chose to apply for the Fishman Prize, I remember sitting at my parents dinner table and discussing the essay prompts and what this could potentially mean for my students and  me. I was so excited and yet nervous. I am a very competitive person and through the months of next steps, I wanted no one to know I had applied. What if I didn't win? This was nerve racking because I want to be the best! Looking back, I wish I could have involved more people and students. This award is truly a celebration of exceptional teaching that is happening all over the United States in classrooms K-12. I am so glad that my coworkers were interested in the strange video equipment that was popping up everywhere for two weeks while I video taped my classes continually. I must say it became a bit of an obsession. It is amazing what you can see, hear and learn from watching your lessons and I would encourage every teacher to video tape their classroom on a regular basis. It is awesome professional development!

The application process for the Fishman Prize was intense and yet fun! I had to write two very short responses to prompts (250 words is just not enough!), submit a letter of recommendation (thank you Diana!), submit a 25 minute video taped lesson and lesson plan, have an unannounced observation, and lastly have an in person interview with a panel from TNTP.

My students were absolutely amazing throughout the process and so excited when we made it to the next round each time. I cannot thank them enough for the hard work and dedication all of my students over the last seven years have put in. Each year has been special and different and has gotten me to where I am today. Lennard Longhorns rock!

I have created this blog to not only document my journey, but to share the Fishman Prize with every student I have had. It is most definitely OUR FISHMAN PRIZE!

I hope you enjoy,
Ms. Zunkiewicz


No comments:

Post a Comment